What’s there to love about Punta Gorda? Honestly, lots and lots of things. In this post I will highlight my top 10 reasons I Love Punta Gorda.
1. Weather. Yes, it can be very hot here in the summer! But I will take the heat over the frigid northern winters all day long! Nothing is better than walking outside year round in flip flops and shorts! Blue skies, fluffy clouds and mild temperatures just don’t get old. Now that’s not to say we don’t have our fair share of nasty weather, especially during hurricane season.
Check out this video for more on PG weather: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjtghaYbacY
2. Boating. There are a lot of boating opportunities in Punta Gorda. There are homes on canals with Gulf of Mexico access, public boat ramps throughout the county, the Freedom Boat Club and plenty of charter services including King Fisher Fleet out of Fisherman’s Village. Right from Fisherman’s Village you can take a sunset cruise round the harbor or do full or half day fishing trips up the Peace River as well as boating days to some of the worlds most beautiful beaches.
Check out these links for boating:
King Fisher Fleet: https://kingfisherfleet.com/
3. Views. We have views for days! Because we have so much water there are opportunities for views such as the harbor, the Peace and Myakka Rivers, canals and ponds. With so much water comes flora and fauna as well. Let’s not forget about the sunsets! Watching the sunset over the harbor is a favorite pastime for many. You can catch great sunset views from Ponce De Leon Park, Gilcrest Park, Lashley Park, the top of the Wyvern or the Tiki bar.
4. Restaurants. There are multiple restaurants downtown. You can dress up or go casual. There are american, Mexican, Italian, barbeque, Thai, Chinese, Indian… just about any craving can be satisfied in Punta Gorda.
5. Downtown. The downtown is great not only for the shops and restaurants that are open year round, but for the farmer’s markets, festivals and shows that are hosted throughout the year. For a calendar of events check out: https://everythingpuntagorda.com/
6. Farmer’s Markets. There are two farmer’s markets every week in Punta Gorda. Saturday morning you can find it on Taylor Street and on Sunday at the History Park. You can find everything from fresh fruits and vegetables, local honey, salsas, handicrafts, art work and artisans. Plan to give yourself at least an hour or two to wander through each both.
7. Artist Community. Punta Gorda is known for supporting local artists. You will find their work at the Visual Arts Center in town, in consignment stores, business offices and of course the farmer’s markets. If you have an interest in art, definitely look into the artist scene in town. I would start at the Visual Arts Center https://visualartcenter.org/
8. Friendly Neighbors. Because most everyone in Florida is from someplace else people seek out new friendships. One of the best qualities about this small town is everyone gets to know one another and people of all ages socialize together. Don’t be afraid to head downtown even if you are solo, there is a good chance you’ll find a group to spend some time with.
9. Affordable. Punta Gorda is affordable, especially when compared to our neighbors to the north in Sarasota County and our neighbors to the south in Lee and Collier Counties. We are a great kept secret and would like to keep it that way! If you are interested in seeing how much house you can buy on your budget search through the link below: https://crossedkeysrealty.com/home-search/
10. Jobs. There are plenty of opportunities to work here in Charlotte County. Many of the jobs revolve around tourism. We also have large employers like Bayfront Medical, Channey Brothers and the Punta Gorda Airport. If you are looking to work full time or would like a part time retirement job, you will likely find something here. Check out this video on moving to Florida without a job: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmXgu_n7APk&t=5s
So there you have it, 10 reasons I love Punta Gorda. But don’t take my word for it, come down and see for yourself!